There are many women who are making a positive impact on sports right now, both on and off the field. Some examples are:
- Brittney Griner, a basketball player who is known for her dunks and her openness about her sexuality1.
- Maria Sharapova, a tennis player who has won five Grand Slam titles and is one of the highest-paid female athletes in the world1.
- Mia Hamm, a soccer player who helped popularize women’s soccer in the US and won two Olympic gold medals and two World Cups1.
- Billie Jean King, a tennis legend who fought for equal pay and opportunities for women in sports and defeated Bobby Riggs in the famous “Battle of the Sexes” match1.
- Jackie Joyner-Kersee, a track and field star who won six Olympic medals and is considered one of the greatest athletes of all time1.
These are just some of the many women who have changed the history of sport by breaking barriers, inspiring others, and showing their excellence2. Women and girls who play sports have higher levels of confidence, self-esteem, well-being, and health benefits34. They also defy gender stereotypes, challenge social norms, and make positive contributions to society45.
Women in sport are changing the game!