America is known for its vast selection of local food and cuisines. Whether you’re on vacation, on a road trip, or going to ballgame, regardless of where you are in America, there’s bound to be food for you to choose from!
- Barbecue: Southern states like Texas, Kansas, and Tennessee are known for their slow-cooked, smoky barbecue. Barbecue styles can vary, but the meats are typically rubbed with a dry spice mix, smoked over wood, and served with a tangy, sweet sauce. The great state of Maine is also known for lobster rolls.
- Lobster rolls: If you are visiting New England, don’t miss out on the classic lobster roll. A lobster roll typically consists of buttered and toasted bread stuffed with chunks of lobster meat, mayonnaise, and sometimes celery or other seasonings.
- Tex-Mex: Texas and its neighboring states have their unique take on Mexican cuisine, known as Tex-Mex. Tex-Mex is a fusion of American and Mexican flavors, and popular dishes include fajitas, nachos, and tacos.
- Deep-dish pizza: Chicago-style deep-dish pizza is a must-try when visiting the Windy City. This pizza has a thick crust, and the cheese, sauce, and toppings are piled high. It’s a knife-and-fork, get your hands dirty, kind of pizza.
- Cajun and Creole: Louisiana is known for its spicy Cajun and Creole cuisines. Cajun cuisine is typically made with ingredients like crawfish, sausage, and rice, while Creole cuisine features seafood, spices, and rice. Both cuisines are delicious and flavorful. The South is known for its flare but also has its fair share of general comfort foods.
- Philly cheesesteak: If you are in Philadelphia, you can’t leave without trying a Philly cheesesteak. It’s a sandwich made with thinly sliced beef, melted cheese, and sautéed onions, all stuffed inside a soft roll.
- New York-style bagels and pizza: New York is famous for its bagels and pizza. Bagels are boiled before they are baked, giving them a dense, chewy texture. New York-style pizza is thin-crusted and typically served with large, foldable slices.
Other, little known cuisines can be found all over! For example, Buffalo, New York is known for its Ethiopian food!
This list is but a starting point. If you’re a foodie, it’s your job to find as many of these cuisines as possible!